View Full Version : An Event Idea...

WhereRWe?
03-16-2010, 06:16 PM
RULost2? and I recently attended a geocaching event in New Brunswick, and I think the idea of the event would be good in Maine.

The idea is, they have a weekly Sunday morning breakfast event (9-11AM), held in a different part of New Brunswick each week (same location every month). I think a weekly event in Maine - possibly venues in Bangor, Augusta, Portland and Lewiston/Auburn - would be well received.

Comments?

pjpreb
03-16-2010, 07:05 PM
The CT geocachers have something similar - a wings & beer the 2nd Wednesday of every month. They only log it as an event the first time they attend. I think it's a good idea but is weekly too often?

Mainiac1957
03-16-2010, 07:06 PM
I post those every month here on GCMe. I too would like to see someone step up and try it.;)

craftycaching
03-16-2010, 07:22 PM
could someone please tell me the name of the cache in waterville at the end of water street? i dropped two tbs there i had way to long but forgot the name of the cache- thanks.

WhereRWe?
03-16-2010, 07:26 PM
I think it's a good idea but is weekly too often?

I don't think weekly is too often - the idea is that it is a fairly local event, and not really intended for statewide participation (although people "from away" are entirely welcome). I'm thinking about people (like us) for whom going out to breakfast on a Sunday morning is more the rule than the exception. I mean, I'm thinking of an event even MORE informal that t he WWWWWW events! LOL!

At the event we attended, I was really impressed with how almost everyone made an effort to come up and introduce themselves.
Probably more because of the fact that we were the only strange faces, but...

Sabby
03-16-2010, 08:07 PM
could someone please tell me the name of the cache in waterville at the end of water street?

Could it be
Mother's Day Cache
GC1C5KH

Ekidokai
03-17-2010, 01:30 AM
OK, I'll do it. I have been talking to Hollora about it before and this is a good idea. I think I'll take the first Sunday here in Bangor.

Does Governor's sound good for the first one?

Ekidokai
03-17-2010, 01:38 AM
could someone please tell me the name of the cache in waterville at the end of water street? i dropped two tbs there i had way to long but forgot the name of the cache- thanks.

You can just look at the map and see the caches.

Lombard Micro (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=88f28015-23f2-49e0-aa5b-cade06cd1a02) GCXJ3B
Mother's Day Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=62a93c79-44cf-46e6-861a-728604120519) GC1C5KH
Fish The Kennebec #21 Pollock (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=bfffa704-06b0-4740-b158-9ed3e32c7185) GC20CNR

Those are the three on Water St.

If you need more help just ask. We can walk you through any of this junk.

Ekidokai
03-17-2010, 01:51 AM
I don't think weekly is too often - the idea is that it is a fairly local event, and not really intended for statewide participation (although people "from away" are entirely welcome). I'm thinking about people (like us) for whom going out to breakfast on a Sunday morning is more the rule than the exception. I mean, I'm thinking of an event even MORE informal that t he WWWWWW events! LOL!

At the event we attended, I was really impressed with how almost everyone made an effort to come up and introduce themselves.
Probably more because of the fact that we were the only strange faces, but...

Just the opposite for me. People shy way and kids run screaming. I probably should ease up on the growling a little.

I get the feeling I'm talking to myself too much too.

brdad
03-17-2010, 03:33 AM
I like the idea that these events are never archived, and that the date is just edited for each meeting. For some reason I was thinking this was not allowed anymore and that these examples were grandfathered? Tom? Tom?

Hopefully that is not the case.

We could actually use our Geocaching Maine account to host this type of event if everyone liked the idea and thought it was appropriate.

Mainiac1957
03-17-2010, 05:02 AM
We could actually use our Geocaching Maine account to host this type of event if everyone liked the idea and thought it was appropriate.

Now that is an interesting idea. No reason for them not to be a monthly event however. Having a restaurant willing to reserve space on a Sunday morning is the bigger deal. Most know they are going to fill up anyway, so why take a chance on missing out on business. Also that we as cachers tend to stay for awhile gabbing, and then they don't turn over the tables. Don't get me wrong on this. I would love it. Just playing devils advocate a little.

tat
03-17-2010, 06:40 AM
I like the idea that these events are never archived, and that the date is just edited for each meeting. For some reason I was thinking this was not allowed anymore and that these examples were grandfathered? Tom? Tom?

Hopefully that is not the case.

The guidelines state:

Event caches should be submitted no less than two weeks prior to the date of the event, so that potential attendees will have sufficient notice to make their plans. ...

After the event has passed, the event cache should be archived by the organizer within four weeks.

brdad
03-17-2010, 06:44 AM
It would definitely have to be an establishment willing to participate. Governor's in Bangor is a great idea, especially since they have breakfast buffet on weekends (I think they still do) but for that reason plus the fact they do have limited space it might be a problem.

brdad
03-17-2010, 06:49 AM
The guidelines state:

Ya, and it is also said they are only guidelines and there are allowances :p

So, would you rule no or yes?

If it's no this thread takes a slightly different turn. Might as well know up front!

This is an example of the CT event

Wings & Beer (and Pizza, too!) (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4bc1eb13-a02e-401c-b808-759723d9e29d) (GCZRKA) by The Local Cachers (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=176679) (1/1)

WhereRWe?
03-17-2010, 06:59 AM
Now that is an interesting idea. No reason for them not to be a monthly event however. Having a restaurant willing to reserve space on a Sunday morning is the bigger deal. Most know they are going to fill up anyway, so why take a chance on missing out on business. Also that we as cachers tend to stay for awhile gabbing, and then they don't turn over the tables. Don't get me wrong on this. I would love it. Just playing devils advocate a little.

At the event we attended, I don't believe there were more than 12 people present. This would not be a major strain on any "family"restaurant. I would think they'd be glad to have a regular group of this size (ones that would actually eat and not just drink coffee and take up room! LOL!)

Mainiac1957
03-17-2010, 07:01 AM
The ones they do in New Brunswick post as new events each month. I have to think there is nothing wrong doing it that way. Not everyone will make it to every breakfast. I understand the concept though. The first weekend here in Bangor. The next in Augusta, and then in Portland, etc, etc. So each would be once a month, but potentially every week somewhere would be a breakfast event. Lets get some in the works!:cool:

brdad
03-17-2010, 07:18 AM
I'm sure the different locations would have to be separate events.

I just like the concept of the same event being re-dated better than submitting new ones every month. Of course, that will require enough people attending. Still worth discussing either way!

pm28570
03-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Certainly gets my seal of approval. Monthly, in a given area, shouldn't be too often and rotating among locations is a great idea. Mike had talked about this last September at Last Bashe, seems this would fill the bill perfectly.

cano
03-17-2010, 10:56 AM
The ones they do in New Brunswick post as new events each month. I have to think there is nothing wrong doing it that way. Not everyone will make it to every breakfast. I understand the concept though. The first weekend here in Bangor. The next in Augusta, and then in Portland, etc, etc. So each would be once a month, but potentially every week somewhere would be a breakfast event. Lets get some in the works!:cool:

I prefer to have it always in a different restaurant. Or we can have picknics in parks instead. Everybody will bring their own food and will eat it there. I prefer lunch instead. I don't need to get up before noon on Sundays. :)

brdad
03-17-2010, 11:32 AM
I like the familiarity of sticking with one location per given city and week, which also makes it easier to make sure the establishment knows we are coming and that they can accommodate us. Picnics would be great but are too dependent on weather.

pm28570
03-17-2010, 12:53 PM
I prefer to have it always in a different restaurant. Or we can have picknics in parks instead. Everybody will bring their own food and will eat it there. I prefer lunch instead. I don't need to get up before noon on Sundays. :)

And in winter?

By rotating locations, I meant town/city, not venue.

Ekidokai
03-17-2010, 12:58 PM
My contact at Governor's likes the idea. She would like to get a number attending. I told her that We wouldn't know until people arrive, but told her I expected about 10 to 15 maybe up to 20 and she thought that was fine.

We are planning for first Sunday in April.

pm28570
03-17-2010, 01:06 PM
My contact at Governor's likes the idea. She would like to get a number attending. I told her that We wouldn't know until people arrive, but told her I expected about 10 to 15 maybe up to 20 and she thought that was fine.

We are planning for first Sunday in April.

Mike, that is Easter. Fine for me, but others?

Ekidokai
03-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Well, your right. I don't like how my calendar is set up. Monday should be the first day of the week right after the weekend, right?

OK, lets shoot to start this off on the second Sunday.

cano
03-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Well, your right. I don't like how my calendar is set up. Monday should be the first day of the week right after the weekend, right?

OK, lets shoot to start this off on the second Sunday.

No, I will be on vacation and I don't want to miss the first one :)

Ekidokai
03-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Damn it to hell! How can you be on vacation on Sunday? You don't work on Sunday?!

tat
03-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Ya, and it is also said they are only guidelines and there are allowances :p

So, would you rule no or yes?

If it's no this thread takes a slightly different turn. Might as well know up front!

This is an example of the CT event

Wings & Beer (and Pizza, too!) (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4bc1eb13-a02e-401c-b808-759723d9e29d) (GCZRKA) by The Local Cachers (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=176679) (1/1)

As many of you know, I am TAT and also MainePublisher. Sometimes we disagree, :) but we both agree that reviewers don't rule, approve or disapprove. Reviewers review!

The guidelines summarize the expectations of Geocachers.

Geocacher can and do expect:

Event caches to be submitted no less than two weeks prior to the date of the event, so that potential attendees will have sufficient notice to make their plans.
the event cache should be archived by the organizer within four weeks after the event has passed.
to be able to log every cache.

Can the cache page be written to meet these expectations?

brdad
03-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Can the cache page be written to meet these expectations?

Only if 4 weeks is determined by the Event date listed on the page, which could be edited every 4 weeks. Which seems to work since 2006 for the Beer and Wings event I posted. That is where it gets fuzzy for me.

I guess my question is does that event page I listed meet the expectations?
If not, it must either be grandfathered or someone should request an archive? :eek:

cano
03-17-2010, 10:27 PM
You are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Why don't you post a new listing for every new event? Who ever will attend will log it over and over again. If you don't like it, don't log it.

Ekidokai
03-17-2010, 10:52 PM
I will log the event every time as a new event if needs be. No problem it's no hair off my head. Tat and I will talk about how to proceed from there. We can work out the logging of the event if that becomes a problem. Everyone just calm down.

I have an idea too. I think I'll do something I use to do in the Lions Club. Have a mystery ride. No one will know where we are going until we get there. We will all meet at a location that morning and follow me to the location for breakfast. I'll set up a container at the meeting point for the late comers to find with the coordinates for the breakfast. Might even use that as the event log.

I have three really interesting places in mind to choose from at this point.

I have a suggestion for the next one if I may be so bold. Big G's. The commercials make my mouth water.

Waterski
03-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Multi or puzzle cache??

Waterski
03-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Event multi?

brdad
03-17-2010, 11:45 PM
We're all calm. I was just trying to get something clarified. The ideas are straying further and further from the original posts so it matters less and less anyway. :D Carry on!

Ekidokai
03-18-2010, 12:56 AM
Not straying. Setting this thing up.

Bangor area will start this off on the second Sunday of April. It will e listed as a Breakfast meeting event and we will go from there. I don't really see any problem claiming each event you attend, I also don't see any problem with an event that the date changes every two weeks.

Now if we can get three other people to jump in and take other areas it would be nice.

Haffy
03-18-2010, 01:30 AM
I'll take the next weekend. Oh wait!!! I'm in another state...Sorry...

tat
03-18-2010, 06:49 AM
You are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Why don't you post a new listing for every new event? Who ever will attend will log it over and over again. If you don't like it, don't log it.

Exactly!!

"If you have a novel type of cache that "pushes the envelope" to some degree, then it is best to contact your local reviewer and/or Groundspeak before placing and reporting it on the Geocaching.com web site"

Your local reviewer is happy to discuss any cache idea. Still, it makes sense to work out exactly what you want to do, then ask.

tat
03-18-2010, 06:58 AM
Only if 4 weeks is determined by the Event date listed on the page, which could be edited every 4 weeks.

I see your point, I'd recommend posting "the cache for all of the reviewers to see in their private discussion forum. Sometimes a second opinion from someone else who has seen a similar situation can help in suggesting a way for the cache to be published."

Which seems to work since 2006 for the Beer and Wings event I posted. That is where it gets fuzzy for me.
I guess my question is does that event page I listed meet the expectations?
If not, it must either be grandfathered or someone should request an archive? :eek:

"First and foremost please be advised there is no precedent for placing caches. This means that the past listing of a similar cache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the listing of a new cache. If a cache has been published and violates any guidelines listed below, you are encouraged to report it. However, if the cache was placed prior to the date when a guideline was issued or updated the cache is likely to be "grandfathered" and allowed to stand as is."

The correct way to resolve this concern is to contact the reviewer who published the cache or contact@geocaching.com

pjpreb
03-18-2010, 06:05 PM
If the event continuously changes locations, I would log them as seperate events. If it occurs in the same venue every Sunday I'd only log it the first time I attended. However, I could care less how others log it. If people want to log 52 Sunday events in a year they could earn the "ironman breakfast" award.:D:cool:

hollora
03-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Just read this who thread........wow! Just publish your events as events. Each seems like a separate thing to me.

One comment - I do have a life other than Geocaching. An event a month or so or every quarter is fine but sponsors of events need to understand and expect that attendenace will vary based upon seasons, weather and other things. As long as sponsors realize this and are not upset if a lot don't show up - or a huge number do - everyone will be happy.

I, personally, also would not be into the mystrey think more than one or twice a year. With gas what it is right now - it would be nice if you could post the approximate travel mileage so folks could plan- place not necessary just the mileage. Just a suggestion.

rcwhit
03-19-2010, 06:58 AM
I, personally, also would not be into the mystrey think more than one or twice a year. With gas what it is right now - it would be nice if you could post the approximate travel mileage so folks could plan- place not necessary just the mileage. Just a suggestion.

If the event is listed on Geocaching.com, I think the milage to the event from your own house will be listed on the event page, that is if you have listed your zipcode on the Geocaching.com website.

Ekidokai
03-19-2010, 07:13 AM
The mystery ride idea would just be for the first one. After that it would be a set location. That seems to appeal to everyone.

WhereRWe?
03-19-2010, 07:20 AM
One comment - I do have a life other than Geocaching. An event a month or so or every quarter is fine but sponsors of events need to understand and expect that attendenace will vary based upon seasons, weather and other things. As long as sponsors realize this and are not upset if a lot don't show up - or a huge number do - everyone will be happy.

Sheesh! My original proposal has taken on legs, but as I envisioned it, these gatherings would be small INFORMAL gatherings of geocachers who want to get out out on a Sunday. I know that many people think that if an event is posted, they're not being "real" geocachers if they don't attend.

I also know that large gatherings build the ego of the event organizers who equate numbers with success (it's ALWAYS about the numbers, right?), but that was not my intent in proposing this type of gathering. (Mystery ride???)

:D:D

Ekidokai
03-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Sheesh! My original proposal has taken on legs, but as I envisioned it, these gatherings would be small INFORMAL gatherings of geocachers who want to get out out on a Sunday. I know that many people think that if an event is posted, they're not being "real" geocachers if they don't attend.

I also know that large gatherings build the ego of the event organizers who equate numbers with success (it's ALWAYS about the numbers, right?), but that was not my intent in proposing this type of gathering. (Mystery ride???)

It was a huge success In Waterboro. We would meet at the clubhouse and follow the leader until arriving at the venue. Once brought them back to the clubhouse for a catered dinner that was really fun.

Like I said it would be for the first one only. Then the same fixed location after that.

pm28570
03-19-2010, 07:59 AM

This is along what I thought was a good idea. As for logging, if it has a unique GC.com identifier, then log it.

milosheart
03-19-2010, 10:43 PM
I've just read this thread and thought, as one of the "hosts" of these breakfasts in New Brunswick, I'd clarify what we've done here.

It started in Moncton. A Sunday breakfast the last Sunday of the month. It's at a restaurant that has a separate room so taking up space or staying for long periods of time isn't an issue. It is just an informal gathering for breakfast and geo-chat. I think they have an average of about 20 people, maybe 6 or so sometimes in summer and up to 40 or more on busy weekends.

Being from Fredericton and not able to get to Moncton all the time (it's about a 2 hour drive) we decided to start having one here. We decided to do ours the 2nd to last Sunday so people from Moncton could come and we could still go there if we wished. We also found a restaurant with a completely separate room and have it there every month. We have averaged about 30 people, with a low of 23 and high of 47. We started ours Sept 2009.

Saint John also started having a Sunday breakfast and they do theirs the 3rd to last Sunday. They have theirs in a small motel restaurant and mingle with other partons.

We all do each month's breakfast as a new event and archive them after they're done. It's not really that big a deal to copy and paste the info with a few changes. The same cachers host it every week and we usually publish the next one a week after the last one. We very often will have a few cachers from both Moncton and Saint John (and other areas) and we get to their breakfasts occasionally. Very few, if any, go to all 3 all the time. And as WhereRWe said they are very informal. Drop in, sign the logbook, pour a coffee and have some breakfast, meet and greet fellow cachers and tell tall tales! :)

It's been very well received by the cachers in all 3 cities and we get great reviews from our out-of-town guests! Our next one in Fredericton is this Sunday - here's the GC code if you want to take a peak (GC248KQ) and an archived one from Dec (GC21GCA).

We love to have guests from out of town so if you're ever up/over this way drop in fro breakfast!

hollora
03-19-2010, 10:46 PM
I've just read this thread and thought, as one of the "hosts" of these breakfasts in New Brunswick, I'd clarify what we've done here.

It started in Moncton. A Sunday breakfast the last Sunday of the month. It's at a restaurant that has a separate room so taking up space or staying for long periods of time isn't an issue. It is just an informal gathering for breakfast and geo-chat. I think they have an average of about 20 people, maybe 6 or so sometimes in summer and up to 40 or more on busy weekends.

Being from Fredericton and not able to get to Moncton all the time (it's about a 2 hour drive) we decided to start having one here. We decided to do ours the 2nd to last Sunday so people from Moncton could come and we could still go there if we wished. We also found a restaurant with a completely separate room and have it there every month. We have averaged about 30 people, with a low of 23 and high of 47. We started ours Sept 2009.

Saint John also started having a Sunday breakfast and they do theirs the 3rd to last Sunday. They have theirs in a small motel restaurant and mingle with other partons.

We all do each month's breakfast as a new event and archive them after they're done. It's not really that big a deal to copy and paste the info with a few changes. The same cachers host it every week and we usually publish the next one a week after the last one. We very often will have a few cachers from both Moncton and Saint John (and other areas) and we get to their breakfasts occasionally. Very few, if any, go to all 3 all the time. And as WhereRWe said they are very informal. Drop in, sign the logbook, pour a coffee and have some breakfast, meet and greet fellow cachers and tell tall tales! :)

It's been very well received by the cachers in all 3 cities and we get great reviews from our out-of-town guests! Our next one in Fredericton is this Sunday - here's the GC code if you want to take a peak (GC248KQ) and an archived one from Dec (GC21GCA).

We love to have guests from out of town so if you're ever up/over this way drop in fro breakfast!

Thanks for the invite. Hope to make it up your way sometime. Have always enjoyed New Brunswick and the hospitality from Motorcycle Days with the Blue Knights - to not so long ago showing dogs. Always good times and folks who make you feel at home and welcome!

pm28570
03-20-2010, 07:15 AM

Seems like a good model to me.

Ekidokai
03-20-2010, 01:13 PM
OK, fine, I'll do it.

You don't have to call up reinforcements from other countries.

Ekidokai
03-20-2010, 08:08 PM
GC25AYZ

That's it.

JustKev
03-20-2010, 08:10 PM
"Sorry, you cannot view this cache listing until it has been published."

Ekidokai
03-20-2010, 08:18 PM
I can see it.

Ekidokai
03-23-2010, 12:44 PM
It's up and running now.

Maine Geocaching Breakfast Event Mystery Ride (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b04737c7-9697-4a11-9a3c-9182daa13cf6)
GC25AYZ

EMSDanel
03-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Mystery Ride......Now Mike, you have to promise you won't get lost taking us there AND you can't start this at 4:00am..... Oh, one more thing....don't ask us to travel with our lights on. Other than that, I'm going to try to be there!! I'm liking this idea...